Coax source

This contains the scottyspectrumanalyzer yahoo group backup
Sam

Coax source

Post by Sam » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:13 am

When I was experimenting with baluns and bridges, I used some 0.047" and 0.056" coax. Some people asked me where I got it, but by that time I could not remember. Just ran across the source--manufactured by Micro-Coax, distributed by amawave.com. Not cheap, but not horribly expensive, and available in fairly small quantities (min 10' or something like that). I just wanted to document that here, so when I forget it again it can be found by searching.

This stuff is small enough to think of as hook-up wire. For example, if you have a PCB in two sections, separated by a fence but with a signal path through a mouse hole in the fence, you can lay the coax on top of the PCB, solder it at both ends, and solder the fence to its shield.

The conformable version (tin-dipped shield) is what I used for the "balun plus beads" bridge. I know of someone who used the solid-tube shield type for this purpose; the coax is so small that bending it is very simple. I used the solid-tube type for the parallel line bridge. The main problem with the solid-tube shield type is they ship it to you taped onto a 10' piece of wood, increasing shipping costs.

Sam W.