Assembly of fences

This contains the scottyspectrumanalyzer yahoo group backup
xjwmcx

Assembly of fences

Post by xjwmcx » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:36 am

Hi All,
There is a lot of activity now, and I have seen a number of ideas about the assembling of fences which involve bending  fences for the SLIM modules.  I have posted my method of assemblying the fences, in case there are some who don't have bending tools or bending skills.  My method requires no bending, and will result in good-looking modules when done.
See the photo album:  "Jim's Fence fixture"
I made a simple fixture from wood pieces that were laying around on my workbench.  It is simple and easy to make.   I used a baseplate of plywood,  four small strips of wood, and a small wood block.  It is assembled with 5 screws.  That's it. 
The wood block is carefully cut to the desired inside dimensions of the fence.  You may need two fixtures, or you can make one fixture which will  accomodate the two sizes of modules.   If you cut the block too big, carefully file or sand it down to the correct size.  If you cut the block too small, you can use masking tape to shim it up to the correct size.
I used a 1/16 x 1/2 x 12 inch brass strip to make the fence pieces.  It was available at our local hardware store.  Cut the four sides and place them in the fence fixture.  Secure them in place by pushing the slides against them and then tighten the screws to hold the slides in place.  I cut  two of the fence pieces slightly longer than the module dimension so I could easily solder the corners on the outside of the brass pieces.
Solder the corners and then remove the fencing from the fixture.  Place the fence over the module and tack solder the center of each side to the SLIM module.  This will hold the pieces together and to the module while you complete the soldering around the periphery of the module.  I had no problem with fence pieces falling apart while soldering to the modules.
I actually turned the modules upside down and used various handy items (use your on imagination here) to hold the SLIM module so that it was correctly aligned with the bottom of the fence.  It was easier to solder the fence to the bottom periphery of the modules and then turn them over and solder the component side periphery to the fence.
When ready to seal up the module for good, I cut lids from a 1/16 x 2 x 12 inch piece of brass which was also availably from the hardware store.  You could use FR4 PC board material for the top, if you cut it oversized a bit so you can solder it easily to the fence.  Don't use PC board material for the fencing;  it is pretty nearly impossible to get an RFI-tight solder seal with it, because you have to solder to the inside of the fence, which probably could be done at the corners of the fence, but you can't get to the inside of the fence when soldering the top on to the fence.
Take a look at "Jim's photo album" for some views of my completed fences.
I found this method of "fence building" easier than trying to bend material to exact dimensions to fit the modules, but the way to go is whatever works for you.
Regards,
Jim