Connectors for SLIM

This contains the scottyspectrumanalyzer yahoo group backup
xjwmcx

Connectors for SLIM

Post by xjwmcx » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:55 am

Hi All,
I have been watching from the sidelines and I'm impressed at the activity and give-and-take of information that is happening.  I wished this had been going on when I was building my version of the non-SLIM version of the MSA.
I did build a SLIM version of the control board and the A-to-D converter, and as many of you have said, dealing with the small connectors was quite tedious, to put it mildly.  After I was nearly done, I found some alternate connector housings and contacts which are much easier to deal with.  They won't work in all locations, because the housing are bigger (which is what makes them easier to work with), and there isn't enough space for them in all locations.  But where there is adequate space, I found them to be a pleasure to work with, compared to the other tiny ones.
Most of the connectors on the control board can use the larger connectors housings.  But they can't be used for the 2-pin connectors, because they are so close together.
If you decide to try them, just check for adequate space before you use them.
The connector housings and contacts are in the Molex KK series.  On the Jamecon website, you can find them on page 58 of the catalog.  The link is
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c284/P58.pdf
The KK series .100" female housings and the KK series .100" crimp terminals are what you want to use.  There are contacts with tin plating and some with gold platings.  These housings and contacts are for use with 0.025 inch pins, which is what we are using.
These contacts are large enough so that it is pretty easy to crimp a 22 AWG wire using a pair of needle-nosed pliers, and then lightly solder them.  (I don't know of a cheap crimp tool for them.)  And then it is very easy to push the contacts into the housings.
Digi-Key has some of the housing and contacts, also.  Digi-Key part numbers WM2312-ND (gold), WM2312CT-ND (gold), and WM1114CT-ND (tin) are contacts.  On the page for the contacts, there is a listing of connector housings.  WM1582-ND is a housing with 9 positions, for example.
This info is too late for some of you, I know, but may be of interest to those who aren't so far along.
Regards to All, and keep up the chatter.
Jim