Now fully committed...

This contains the scottyspectrumanalyzer yahoo group backup
gollum@f-m.fm

Now fully committed...

Post by gollum@f-m.fm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Hi All;Guy here.  Well.. I pulled the trigger and ordered "most" of the rest of the parts from Digikey.  I have all the necessary MiniCircuits parts and have NOT ordered SMA connectors, cable (hard line?) or sundry other things such as a hot air re-work station.  My eyes are not what they were when I could solder 0603 parts by hand.  It is going to be interesting! I almost caved the last 2 days and almost purchased a Siglent SSA 33021X or one of the Signal Hound analyzers.. almost... But today I thought.. what fun in that?  What would I learn?  What was I to do with the boards and minicircuit components I already purchased?  Well... I committed myself to this project now come hell or high water.  :-)
Once the parts come, I will start building in earnest.   >$700 in the hole so far.. 
My background is in VLSI test engineering where I worked for Intel, Motorola/Siemens and Dominion Semiconductor writing wafer level test programs for MicroControllers, Cpus and Flash memory devices.  I see that the MSA is programmed in Liberty Basic http://www.libertybasic.com/ and I will order a copy.. I also am not really a windows Guy..  mostly Unix, BSD, OS-X.     I will be testing operation and programming using my macbook pro with Parallels installed, running both Widows 7 Pro, and Windows 10.  
I need to find one of the Cyrpus usb-parallel boards.. too.  Or develop something if that is not available.  I have not delved into the USB discussions here.. there are a TON of posts.  I would like to download all the posts and put them in a searchable text based system for reference.. but would have to write a screen scrape routine to do it.. Yahoo makes it difficult to do anything like this..
I need to find one of the Cyrpus usb-parallel boards.. too.  Or develop something if that is not available.  I have not delved into the USB discussions here.. there are a TON of posts.  I would like to download all the posts and put them in a searchable text based system for reference.. but would have to write a screen scrape routine to do it..

I will be setting up my data, not in a Wiki but on GitHub.  I like their privacy settings.  I will publish once I have started. 

PS.. I now work for the University of Virginia as the Director of Facilities Management and Security for all their Libraries (12 of them).  I left the Semiconductor industry to better help my special needs son ( http://trisomy.org/?our-story=luke-mengel) I have been here at UVA now for 16 years.. Luke is now almost 24 and living in his own apartment in Norfolk (with supports of course.. with Hope House Foundation in Norfolk, VA ) and working on the Naval Base.  No plans to retire..at least until I fall over.. 

PSS.. I am not a tin-foil hat kinda Guy but... I am not liking this new(?) Yahoo groups interface and especially the new privacy settings that JUST came out..  When you log in you should have seen a new requirement...see: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/1723 ... s-scan-ads

PSSS.. Are there any Navy guys here?  I served the tail end of Vietnam on a Nuc Fast Attack Submarine (USS Sunfish SSN649) out of Charleston at the time .. that Naval Base is defunct now.  http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08649.htm

I ramble..Stand by for more things engineering wise...
And a thanks to Scotty if he is watching things... for all the documentation and efforts in developing this very nice MSA.  
Guy

Karl Heinz Kremer

Re: Now fully committed...

Post by Karl Heinz Kremer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Guy, 
I am almost in the same boat as you: I got my Mini Circuits parts, but now I am going through my "junk" box, and eBay listings to see what I can find or get cheaper before I put my Digikey order in. Like you, I am typing this in a MacBook Pro, and I have  half dozen Linux systems around me, but no more Windows systems. I did order one of the Cypress boards (a small board, with supposedly the correct chip - or to be more specific, not the wrong chip). 
I am looking forward to your GitHub repository. 
Thanks, 
Karl Heinz

gollum@f-m.fm

Post by gollum@f-m.fm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm

#ygrps-yiv-394561443 p.ygrps-yiv-394561443MsoNormal, #ygrps-yiv-394561443 p.ygrps-yiv-394561443MsoNoSpacing{margin:0;}

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the note.  I am working on the repository as I speak.

My intent is to also store the Source Code in its original form and keep track of changes using github as well as all the hardware.  I will also generate a blog of sorts.

Hope you have a great day.

-Guy

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, at 10:07 AM, Karl Heinz Kremer [url=mailto:khk@... t=_blank]khk@...[/url] [spectrumanalyzer] wrote:

Hi Guy, 

I am almost in the same boat as you: I got my Mini Circuits parts, but now I am going through my "junk" box, and eBay listings to see what I can find or get cheaper before I put my Digikey order in. Like you, I am typing this in a MacBook Pro, and I have  half dozen Linux systems around me, but no more Windows systems. I did order one of the Cypress boards (a small board, with supposedly the correct chip - or to be more specific, not the wrong chip). 

I am looking forward to your GitHub repository. 

Thanks, 

Karl Heinz

Len Spyker

Post by Len Spyker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 am

Attachments :[/list](Warning advertising content)  Hello committedApart from sales of Coax filters (80+) to this group  I designed and sold 20+ of my custom designed MSA CB with the plug in custom cypress CPU:USB PCB This earlier 2 part board was called BOARD1 other variants were sold for the RAS-PI and the MBed-ARM boards.  My latest single MSA CB PCB version takes a plug in EZ_USB card (from E-Bay) and also has a  +23V VCO supply.You can buy this either as (1) blank board  (2) with a kit of parts (3) fully assembled and tested.  I must warn any keen PCB assemblers this board has tiny resistors networks.You need to be able to easily handle 0402 or fine pitch IC to build this PCB.  If interested contact me directly. Len Spyker Perth Australia.                      

Steve Arntz

Post by Steve Arntz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Guy;    Here is the USB board I am using.  This is the second one I bought.  The first did not work, kept getting memory errors.  This one only has one jumper and the printing LCSOFT on it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CY7C68013A-56- ... SwY45UMeYl

Also SMA connectors were about $1 for the last ones I bought.  

Tyco Electronics TE 5-1814832-1 SMA JACK.  These have a fairly large post and require the board to be drilled.  There are some build instructions on installing connectors and trimming the ground plain away from the center hole.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-Tyco ... 2749.l2649

To build the boards, I used a home build reflow oven for most parts except the chips with the highest pitch pins.  Got too many solder bridges, so did drag soldering with those and left enough parts off the board to have access to those pads.  The solder paste came from CML supply.  I found squeezing a small amount out and applying with a tooth pick worked best.  You could roll a very small amount onto each pad.  I would print out the component layout, test all the parts I could with a LCR or Ohm meter and placing them on the layout before flow soldering.   That way you can apply solder to pads and pick the parts off the layout.  I did reflow the MiniCircuits parts as that was their recommended method of installation.  Magnification was a must for me.  My eyes are not that good anymore.
I am at the testing phase, but still trying to decide on final layout and packaging.  I want a build method that would allow me to remove a board for repair.
73 Steve, KM5HT

gollum@f-m.fm

Post by gollum@f-m.fm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:11 pm

#ygrps-yiv-686675744 p.ygrps-yiv-686675744MsoNormal, #ygrps-yiv-686675744 p.ygrps-yiv-686675744MsoNoSpacing{margin:0;}

Hi Steve;

Thanks for this information! I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B ... UTF8&psc=1 on hand.. but I am working with Len Spyker on one of his boards too. The Connectors are interesting!

It appears you dont have your Blog anymore.  Are you posting other information on your Analyzer?

best!

Guy

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018, at 8:56 AM, Steve Arntz [url=mailto:km5ht.tx@... t=_blank]km5ht.tx@...[/url] [spectrumanalyzer] wrote:

Guy;

Here is the USB board I am using.  This is the second one I bought.  The first did not work, kept getting memory errors.  This one only has one jumper and the printing LCSOFT on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CY7C68013A-56- ... SwY45UMeYl

Also SMA connectors were about $1 for the last ones I bought.   Tyco Electronics TE 5-1814832-1 SMA JACK.  These have a fairly large post and require the board to be drilled.  There are some build instructions on installing connectors and trimming the ground plain away from the center hole.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-Tyco ... 2749.l2649

To build the boards, I used a home build reflow oven for most parts except the chips with the highest pitch pins.  Got too many solder bridges, so did drag soldering with those and left enough parts off the board to have access to those pads.  The solder paste came from CML supply.  I found squeezing a small amount out and applying with a tooth pick worked best.  You could roll a very small amount onto each pad.  I would print out the component layout, test all the parts I could with a LCR or Ohm meter and placing them on the layout before flow soldering.   That way you can apply solder to pads and pick the parts off the layout.  I did reflow the MiniCircuits parts as that was their recommended method of installation.  Magnification was a must for me.  My eyes are not that good anymore.

I am at the testing phase, but still trying to decide on final layout and packaging.  I want a build method that would allow me to remove a board for repair.

73 Steve, KM5HT

mgorbutt2@gmail.com

Post by mgorbutt2@gmail.com » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi Steve -

I'm also at a similar point in MSA adventure. Got most of the parts and now concentrated on the frame mounting of the modules. Like you, I want easy access to the modules for experimenting / repair / upgrade. I found a very interesting option to this challenge - an aluminum block for shielding. Check out William Dillion's webpage ( http://www.housedillon.com/?p=1597 ). The major problem is the access to a vertical mill for milling out a 1/2" aluminum plate with module pockets. I do have access to one (friend) and have found a scrap source for the aluminum. I have not started milling yet , but will start by practicing on scrap material. I am hoping that the RF leakage is small enough.

Can anyone give me some history on this method of shielding?

Mike,  WA8RCB

gollum@f-m.fm

Post by gollum@f-m.fm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

#ygrps-yiv-1389540481 p.ygrps-yiv-1389540481MsoNormal, #ygrps-yiv-1389540481 p.ygrps-yiv-1389540481MsoNoSpacing{margin:0;}

Hi Mike;

You might be interested in seeing how some of the Chinese Analyzers are shielded.  Both the Rigol and the Siglent are shielded this way..  see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8fr_otW0q4 Siglent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0acWrCYjw Rigol

I get a kick out of Dave's videos.  He definitely has an attitude and opinion about things!

I like Williams site too.  I dont have any milling equipment and will be doing shielding using single/double sided pcb me thinks...  separate complete boxes with power feed thru caps and separate SMA connections using semi rigid coax.. (boy the good stuff is pricy!).  Hardline is just that, hard to use... and easy to pinch. Used a ton of it on the Boat (submarine) I was on.  You have to get the line and spacing just right...

anyway!

Have a good day!

Guy (N1GMM)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018, at 10:14 AM, [url=mailto:mgorbutt2@... t=_blank]mgorbutt2@...[/url] [spectrumanalyzer] wrote:

Hi Steve -

I'm also at a similar point in MSA adventure. Got most of the parts and now concentrated on the frame mounting of the modules. Like you, I want easy access to the modules for experimenting / repair / upgrade. I found a very interesting option to this challenge - an aluminum block for shielding. Check out William Dillion's webpage ( http://www.housedillon.com/?p=1597 ). The major problem is the access to a vertical mill for milling out a 1/2" aluminum plate with module pockets. I do have access to one (friend) and have found a scrap source for the aluminum. I have not started milling yet , but will start by practicing on scrap material. I am hoping that the RF leakage is small enough.

Can anyone give me some history on this method of shielding?

Mike,  WA8RCB